Fort Misery

Arizona’s oldest log cabin

built 1863-1864

Fort Misery is the oldest log building associated with the territory of Arizona. It was built on the banks of Granite Creek (two blocks south of the Museum) in 1863-64 by Manuel Yrissari, a trader from New Mexico, to be his home and mercantile. Constructed in haste, its nickname indicates the difficult challenges facing the first residents of this wilderness capital. The crude building served many purposes, including as a store, boarding house, and law office for Judge John Howard.

Sharlot Hall had the structure disassembled in 1934 and reassembled on the Museum grounds in 1936. Thanks to donations in 1994 from the Arizona Heritage Fund and Arizona State Parks, a complete reconstruction of the building was undertaken in 1995-1996. It is furnished as it would have been in the 1870s when Judge John Howard was its owner and resident.

Visit

Fort Misery

Fun Facts

Quick Dates

Fort Misery is constructed by Manuel Yrissari, a merchant from New Mexico.
Sharlot Hall has Fort Misery dismantled and moved to the Museum grounds, where it stands today.
Fort Misery is restored with grant money from the Arizona State Parks Heritage fund.